Qualitative Methods. 9810009m Lisa 9810010m Angela. Outline. Basis for selection of qualitative methods Strategies for Qualitative Research General Methodological Guidelines Critically Analyzing Qualitative Research. Key words associated with qualitative methods include:. Complexity,
Provide in-depth descriptions to interpret something by using case study, personal experiences, interview, or observation.
4. Grounded theory: Develop a theory after gathering and analyzing the data
1. Supervisor (with authority)
2. Leader (e.g., scout leaders)
3. Friend (with respect)
1. Prolonged and substantial engagement: give enough time for yourself to stay in the environment.
2. Persistent observation : Sufficient observation until identifying clear issues/picture
e.g. observe your participants’ facial expression, why they give the answer, and so on.
3. Peer debreifing : Discuss with the disinterested peers for better research ideas
e.g. your research is too broad or your idea is unclear, etc
4. Negative case analysis: If the finding doesn’t fit the hypothesis, seek more information and analyze the negative case.
negative case = minority’s idea
5. Progressive subjectivity: Be open-minded and keep changing if necessary
6. Member checks: if your result of quantitative and qualitative have some inconsistency, you should discuss with other (teachers or classmates).
7. Triangulation: Check information from different sources or methods to find consistency
1. Fairness: Display different views (pros and cons)
2. Ontological authenticity: Show individual’s real experiences
3. Catalytic authenticity: Get evidences of participants’ views by the “inquiry” process
1. The research result can not contain all universal truth because a lot of factors may influence the result;
2. should avoid showing the position or standpoint of the author ( e.g. I, You)
1. Know the research site well to link the research results to positive action within that community
2. To know more about you participants’ group, location, etc, and the result you get will more correct and objective.
The minority’s idea may be important, too
To know more what your participants think in their mind