History of American Journalism during the 1900s. By Jasmine Rhinehart MEDA 301. Who was Lincoln Steffens?. He was born on April 6, 1866 in San Francisco, CA. 1892- became a reporter for New York Evening Post and was recruited by Samuel McClure as editor of McClure’s Magazine .
By Jasmine Rhinehart
1. Scare headlines in huge print, minor news.
2. Lavish use of pictures or imaginary drawings.
3. Use of fake interviews, misleading headlines.
4. Emphasis on full-color Sunday supplements, using comic strips.
5. Dramatic sympathy with the “underdog” against the system.