Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
3. British were searching for stolen weapons.
A small colonial militia, called minutemen (because they reputedly were ready to fight on a minute’s notice), attacked them.
They stopped at Lexington & encountered 56 minutemen.
5. After their victory in Lexington, the British proceeded to Concord. When they got there, a large contingent of minutemen awaited them & inflicted numerous casualties on the Redcoats
The fact that a group of colonial farmers could repel the army of the world’s largest empire was monumental.
15. Paine not only called for independence, but for a new kind of political society: a democratic republic.
Power should be derived from popular consent.
20. Declaration of Independence The Congress was looking for a rousing statement of its ideals, and it commissioned Thomas Jefferson to write the Declaration of Independence
1) It enumerates the colonies’ grievances against the Crown
2) It articulates the principle of individual liberty and the government’s fundamental responsibility to serve the people
3) It was flawed – these only pertained to white, propertied men.
With the document’s signing on July 4, 1776, the Revolutionary War officially began. Pass out handout of Declaration of IndependencePass out handout of Declaration of Independence
23. Social contract
30. US leaders
31. GB leaders