Chapter 1 Review. Battle Royale-Style. Battle Royale Rules!. Each person from your team will be up at the board one time .
Chapter 1 Review
Tables on the Right (and Sophia)
Left tables (and Dylan)
Alonso -- Lim
Manley – Rolon-Hernandez
Tank -- Wohlers
3. List the eight characteristics of all living organisms (as discussed in class).
Growth and Development
Respond to stimuli/environment
4. Identify each of the following as being an observation or an inference:
5. Calculate the percent change in the first three weeks of Mr. Allen’s diet:
(End – Start)/start x 100 = 140/100 x 100 = 140%
6. What is a validity measure? Give an example of one.
A validity measure is a step that you take during an experiment to ensure that you are measuring what you intend to measure. Examples include calibrating equipment, washing glassware, etc…
7. Calculate the average height of the science teachers given the data below:
Average = sum/# = 950/5 = 190 cm
8.You raise lobsters for sale and have heard that LOBSTER-MONGOUS™growth pellets will help you grow enormous crustaceans. You divide your initial baby lobsters into two groups: one fed with regular lobster chow and one fed with LOBSTER-MONGOUS™ growth pellets . You dose each group at the same time using the same amounts. After 10 weeks the lobster lengths are the same between the two groups. Identify the manipulated variable, responding variable and two controlled variables.
mv = food type; rv = lobster length; cvs = feeding time, feeding amounts,
9. How many times do you do something if you repeat it 40 times? Why?
10. Define the following terms as they relate to the characteristics of life: homeostasis, adaptation, organization, respond.
11. You have a horrible cold and are coughing, sneezing and achy. You buy COLD-B-GONE™ herbal supplements. In two days you feel 100% better. Just before you go out to buy a 10-year supply of these miracle pills you stop to reconsider the validity of your experiment. What is missing and why is it needed?