World games Quiz. Give 2 examples of a single-sport World Games Give 3 examples of a multi-sport World Games State 4 characteristics of World Games What impact can World Games have on performers? Why might individuals not reach an elite level despite having the ability?
7. Name 2 difficulties of hosting an international sports event
8. What impact can world games have on the government?
9. Name 4 barriers of progression for elite performers based on discrimination
10. What social or cultural factors may influence a talented individuals progression to elite-level status?
5. Lack self-discipline, not sufficient motivation, not receive financial, coaching or technical support, suffer a career ending injury, choose another career path
6. Cultural – those who do well become national heroes – part of the national character – devoted resources to success
Social – help unify a country – national pride
Economic – ‘shop window’ effect – inward financial investment – beneficial effect on tourism – increase levels of participation in sport – stimulus for the development of sports facilities
7. Cost of the event can exceed the revenue – legacy facilities are not always in the right location or the right design – if construction delays then bad press in the run up to event – if event not well ran then damaging press coverage
8. Political future can be influenced when a country wins the right to hold an event – if planning of the event causes disruption to the lives of local residents or costs overrun significantly & have to be paid through local taxes then the support from the government will drop
9. Sex or gender – ethnic differences – some form of disability – social class
10. Family/country/community support – sport not viewed as high status by family or community – financial resources – infrastructure for elite- performer development (talent ID programme) – amount fo media exposure of that sport -
‘We have got a great chance now to develop sport in our country and to have a fantastic Olympic games and then to leave a legacy for the future.’ Tony Blair – prime minister, 2005.
All sports have to develop elite performers. How can a national governing Body ensure that they help develop elite performers? (5 marks)