Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use only and may not be sold or licensed nor shared on other sites. SlideServe reserves the right to change this policy at anytime. While downloading, If for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. Benefits of humor Pat Scowcroft RN
Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center La Crosse, Wisconsin
2. Health benefits of Humor Health, Healing and the Amuse System:
Humor as Survival Training.
Author is Paul McGhee, PhD
3. Thomas Sydenham, 17th century physician ?The arrival of a good clown exercises more beneficial influence upon the health of a town than twenty asses laden with drugs.?
4. Humor and Health Strengthening of the Immune System Humor found to produce protective antibodies that defend against infections like colds.
5. Humor and Health Humoral Immunity:Saliva tested
increased levels of IgA, IgG, and IgM
increased levels of complement 3
increased levels of interferon-gamma
6. Humor and HealthCellular Immunity increased number of B cells
increased number of, and activity of, Natural Killer cells
increased number of activated T cells
increased number of Helper T cells
increased ratio of Helper/Suppressor T cells
7. Humor and Health Reduction of Blood Levels of Stress Hormones:
and growth hormone
8. Humor and Health Ask yourself if you suffer from:
Delight Deficiency Syndrome?
Signs and symptoms: chronic fatigue,constriction,being cynical,feeling challenged,becoming careless,feeling conflicted,feeling cornered,chronophobia, consumerism
9. Humor and Health Reduced Pain
no hard evidence that this is due to the production of endorphins
10. Other Benefits Cardiac Exercise Reduced risk of Pulmonary Infection
11. Other Benefits????? Reduced BP?? Feel Better - Most people say they just feel better after a hearty laugh.
12. Ways to put more joy in your life Savor the moment
Take control of your time
Reprogram your mind
Leave time for love
Act happy! Don?t vegetate
Give priority to close relationships
Take care of your soul
13. Good Humor, Good Health Controlled studies have shown humor to lower pain thresholds, reduce stress and boost immune system function
14. Use Humor to Stay Healthy Seven days without laughter makes one weak
15. People who use humor a lot are less likely to get upset when faced with negatives. Humor works if you are
used to laughing a lot. Needs to be a regular part of your life to get its full benefit.
16. People with a strong sense of humor tend not to have the expected drop in immune function when exposed to stress. STRESS
17. Put on a Happy Face Changing your facial muscles can set off different physiological changes.
18. Put on a happy face Can also trigger different thoughts that affect moods of sadness, happiness and anger.
19. Put on a happy face Can actually change neurohormone levels that change our moods.
20. When you smile Blood flow to the brain increases, the production of positive neurotransmitters are stimulated
21. In other words If you look happier, you might actually start to feel happier.
22. So if you can?t laugh Smile. And if you can?t smile, fake it
23. When laughter is dangerous Scorn, sarcasm, ridicule, and contempt.
Don?t joke about people?s names. They have to live with them. Inappropriate use of humor with grieving persons or someone severely depressed.
Someone seeking advice for a troubling personal problem.
24. Chronophobia Morbid fear of the duration or immensity of time.
25. See Serenity Humor is in the eye of the beholder