. . Claim. A statement that sums the important point learned from the experiment.The Hypothesis as a statement and not a question (if correct). . . Evidence. Data from the lab that supports the claimUse specific numbers with unitsQualitative observations. . . Reasoning. Must explicitly tie the
1. Writing Conclusions Each part should be 1 (maybe 2) sentences
2. Claim A statement that sums the important point learned from the experiment.
The Hypothesis as a statement and not a question (if correct) Example:Example:
3. Evidence Data from the lab that supports the claim
Use specific numbers with units
4. Reasoning Must explicitly tie the claim and the evidence
Should describe the scientific principles (Look in your notes or textbook)
May describe part of the procedure
5. Errors State how two or more ways the data could be inaccurate
May be measuring errors (Be specific)
May be something that should have been tested or was tested incorrectly. How can the procedure be modified or improved?
DO NOT say human error or measuring errorsHow can the procedure be modified or improved?
DO NOT say human error or measuring errors
6. Tallest Tower Lab How do you make the tallest tower out of 3 sheets of paper?
7. Claim: Creating a wide base and a thinner tower creates the tallest tower. Similar to a hypothesis. Shows cause an effect. Independent and Dependent variable.Similar to a hypothesis. Shows cause an effect. Independent and Dependent variable.
8. Evidence: Our tower was the tallest tower, 2.5m and had a wide base and narrow tower. Smaller towers (<1m) with narrow bases fell down. Specific numbers that relate to the claim are cited.Specific numbers that relate to the claim are cited.
9. Reasoning: “If the center of gravity of an object is above the area of support, the object will remain upright.” Page 205 in Conceptual Physics Textbook.
The wider the area of support, the easier it is to balance the object.
10. Errors: We measured the tower with 3 meters sticks. Measuring is difficult when the object is taller than the measuring device.
We didn’t personally measure the width of other towers.