1. 1 By: Jazmine Cable, Stephen Farris, Alena Fisk, & Kaitlin Christ
period 4 Science
2. 2 Who was Uranus named after?
3. 3 Astronomer William Herschel is credited with the discovery of Uranus in 1789. Who discovered Uranus?
4. 4 What does it look like? Uranus is a blue green color. It is round and spins on its side. Uranus does not have a solid surface you can stand on without going deep into the surface. It is 51,118 kilometers or about four Earths wide. It is the third widest and fourth heaviest planet in the Solar System.
5. 5 Does it have any moons? Uranus has 21 known moons.Itís largest ones are Titania, Oberon, Umbriel, Ariel, and Miranda.Titania is the largest. Umbriel is the darkest satellite of Uranus and is the same size and density of Ariel. Ariel is the brightest moon of Uranus.
6. 6 How many days does Uranus take to orbit around the sun?How long is one day? One day on Uranus is on 17 hours and 14 minutes long.This is because Uranus spins on its side.It takes Uranus takes 84 earth years to orbit the sun or 30,708 days!
7. 7 How far is it from the sun?How far is it from earth? Uranus is the seventh planet in the solar system,located between Saturn and Neptune.Uranus is very far away from the sun.Its average distance from the sun is about 3 billion km or about twenty time the distance from the sun to the Earths. Uranus is 2.57 km (1.6 billion miles) away from Earth.
8. 8 What is Uranus made of? Uranus is a gas planet. It is made up of 83% hydrogen, 15% helium, 2% methane. Methane in the upper atmosphere gives Uranus its blue-green color. Methane is usually a gas on earth but it is so cold on Uranus thatís it is frozen into ice. Uranusís atmosphere is mostly made of methane gas. Like the other gas planets, Uranus has bands of clouds that blow at 90 to 360 mph, but they are extremely faint.
9. 9 Interesting Facts Uranus is the only planet named after a Greek god.
Uranus was the first planet discovered.
Uranus is the farthest planet that you can see without a telescope.
The force of gravity at the surface of Uranus is about 90 percent of the earthís gravity. A 100 pound person would weigh 90 pounds on Uranus!
The temperature on Uranus is Ė355 degrees F.
10. 10 Bibliography mythologica.fr/grec/ouranos.htm