Ethylene Glycol. Keone & Anthony. Ethane-1,2-diol. Formula : C2H6O2 ( C 2 H 6 O 2 ) Ethylene Glycol is an organic compound widely used as an automotive antifreeze and a precursor to polymers. In its regular form, it is an odorless, colorless, syrupy, sweet-tasting liquid.
Keone & Anthony
Formula : C2H6O2 (C2H6O2 )
Ethylene Glycol is an organic compound widely used as an automotive antifreeze and a precursor to polymers. In its regular form, it is an odorless, colorless, syrupy, sweet-tasting liquid.
Other uses include solvents for the paint and plastic industry, photographic developing solutions, hydraulic brake fluids and ink for stamp pads and ballpoint pens.
The primary source of ethylene glycol in the environment is from run-off at airports where it is used in deicing agents for runways and airplanes.
The general public can be exposed to ethylene glycol through skin contact when using automobile antifreeze. Accidental or intentional ingestion can occur because antifreeze is a sweet tasting, brightly colored liquid.
Ethylene glycol has been shown to be toxic to humans.
If it reaches the body it can and will eventually will cause excessive vomiting, eventually leading to kidney failure.
Ethylene glycol also forms acidic chemicals in the body, which can change the body's acid/base balance and affect your nervous system, lungs, and heart.
Ethylene glycol and its effects can be measured in blood and urine.
The EPA, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) are some federal agencies that develop regulations for toxic substances.
The Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) and the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) are two federal organizations that develop recommendations for toxic substances.
On July 7, 1989, Patty Starling’s three-month old son, Roger, had trouble breathing and was vomiting uncontrollably. She took him to the emergency room of the Cardinal Givens Children’s Hospital, where a toxicologist diagnosed Roger’s symptoms as ethylene glycol poisoning. Concerned for the child’s safety, the physician had Roger placed in a foster home where his parents could have visits with him. Shortly after one of these visits, Roger became critically ill and died. Mrs. Starling was charged with first-degree murder. Test results from two laboratories showed significant amounts of ethylene glycol in milk from a bottle she had given her son during the visit. She soon she was charged she admitted to putting the poisonous toxins in the bottle purposely to kill her baby. She was sentenced to life in prison.