Consumers and risk of nanomaterials. [email protected] CONFERENCE ON NANO-SAFETY 22-24.April, Slovenia, Ljubljana. Consumers. ZPS BEUC CONSUMERS INTERNATIONAL TACD ANEC. Consumers by definition buy products for own use. Consumers and risk poor knowledge - limits to choice.
Consumers are not a statistical test
Toothpaste with Ca
Silicon dioxide : E551, aditive
Titanium dioxide: E 171
Carbon nano tubes
Socks with nano silver washed out
Numerous warnings tabled:
Risk of nano particles vs benefit of consumer product use
Should be demonstrated!
What is risk?
harmful, undesired product properties
harmful, undesired product useage properties
Hazard can be intrinsic, extrinsic,
technological , environmental and also moral (malpractice)
In the context of risk, consumers and specially vulnerable groups should present a measure to limits
But there is not enough regulation in:
1. immediate review ought to be addressed also in: REACH, Novel Foods, Cosmetics, quality of water and waste..
2. Coherent and comprehensive approach needed ( now it is fragmented and limiting, i.e.cosmetics ..)
3. “no data no market” principle
4. Common harmonised definition for all relevant EU legislation:
5. transparancy, traceability and information to consumers through labelling and mandatory inventory public registry of products and nanomaterials
?will legs be enough?
?will precautionary principle be enough?
«Consumers by definition, include us all. They are the largest economic group, affecting and affected by almost every public and private economic decision.
Yet they are the only important group... whose views are often not heard»