GEN211_Lecture 5. Outline. UN Commission on Human RightsAdoption of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.Abstentions and their reasons.The Cairo Declaration of Human Rights in Islam.. GEN211_Lecture 5. Commission on Human Rights. The Commission on Human Rights, a standing body of the United
1. GEN211: Ethics and Human Rights Lecture 5
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
2. GEN211_Lecture 5 Outline UN Commission on Human Rights
Adoption of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
Abstentions and their reasons.
The Cairo Declaration of Human Rights in Islam.
3. GEN211_Lecture 5 Commission on Human Rights The Commission on Human Rights, a standing body of the United Nations, was formed to prepare what was initially conceived as an International Bill of Rights.
The Commission at that time was comprised of representatives of the following countries:
Australia, Belgium, Byelorussian Soviet Socialist Republic, Chile, China*, Cuba, Egypt, France, India, Iran, Lebanon, Panama, Philippines, United Kingdom, United States, Soviet Union, Uruguay and Yugoslavia
4. GEN211_Lecture 5 John Peters Humphrey: Professor at McGill University, Canada He was appointed In 1946 in the United Nations Secretariat.
He was a principal drafter of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
Professor Humphrey, after consulting with the executive group of the Commission chaired by Eleanor Roosevelt, prepared the first preliminary draft of what was to become the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
A second draft of the Universal Declaration was prepared by French Scholar Rene Cassin was influenced by the Code Napoleon
5. GEN211_Lecture 5 Eleanor Roosevelt The wife of Franklin D. Roosevelt (US president) Head of United Nation’s Human Rights Commission. She threatened President Truman her resignation if he failed to recognize the newly formed state of Israel. In December 1948, her drafted Human Rights Declaration was passed by the UN.