US History – Unit #5. Post-War United States 1945-1970s. Key Learning. Students will use competing historical accounts to trace the development of postwar conformity and change in the United States. Unit Essential Question.
Post-War United States
Students will use competing historical accounts to trace the development of postwar conformity and change in the United States
How are contemporary issues of conformity and change problems for postwar America?
Does this indicate a patter of continuity or change?
Why have historians come to conflicting conclusions regarding postwar American values?
Beginning of Cold War
a. Korean War
Communism at Home & Space Race
Kennedy and Johnson Years 1960-68
Vietnam War & Counter Culture
Civil Rights Movement
Nixon, Ford & Carter Years 1968-1980
May redo short response and extended response only
6. What war in Asia did JFK get the US involved in?
7. Where did JFK pledge to be the first to land a person?
8. Who was the first US astronaut to orbit the Earth?
9. Who was the first person to land on the moon?
10. What happened to JFK on November 22, 1963 while in Dallas, TX?
6. How many people did East Germany lose to West Germany by 1961?
7 & 8. On what two days did East German soldiers begin to build the wall?
9. How many years did the wall separate West Berlin from Eastern Germany?
10. How many different versions of the wall were built?
Bay of Pigs
Lee Harvey Oswald Grassy Knoll
Dealey Plaza Zapruder Film
Magic Bullet Theory
November 22, 1963
Gulf of Tonkin Resolution
Did the US make the correct decision in going into Vietnam?
Why did we lose this war?
What other US conflict can we relate the Vietnam War to? Why?
New Left Woodstock
Teach-in Psychedelic Drug
Conscientious objector Kent State
Concepts 4 & 5