Dichotomous Keys. Home practice. Dichotomous Keys. Now that we know how organisms are classified. We know some of the characteristics that make up each Kingdom of the Classification System. Let’s Put It to work! And try to find the names of organisms by their characteristics!!!.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
A system of reading the characteristics in an either/or style.
US Oak Leaf Key
1. Leaves usually without teeth or lobes: 2
1. Leaves usually with teeth or lobes: 5
2. Leaves evergreen: 3
2. Leaves not evergreen: 4
3. Mature plant a large tree — Southern live oakQuercusvirginiana
3. Mature plant a small shrub — Dwarf live oakQuercus minima
4. Leaf narrow, about 4-6 times as long as broad — Willow oakQuercusphellos
4. Leaf broad, about 2-3 times as long as broad — Shingle oakQuercusimbricaria
5. Lobes or teeth bristle-tipped: 6
5. Lobes or teeth rounded or blunt-pointed, no bristles: 7
6. Leaves mostly with 3 lobes — Blackjack oakQuercusmarilandica 6. Leaves mostly with 7-9 lobes — Northern red oakQuercusrubra
7. Leaves with 5-9 deep lobes — White oakQuercus alba
7. Leaves with 21-27 shallow lobes — Swamp chestnut oakQuercusprinus