Background and overview of khaled hosseini s the kite runner
This presentation is the property of its rightful owner.
Sponsored Links
1 / 13

Background and Overview of Khaled Hosseini’s The Kite Runner PowerPoint PPT Presentation


  • 118 Views
  • Uploaded on
  • Presentation posted in: General

www.afghan-web.com. Afghan flag. Background and Overview of Khaled Hosseini’s The Kite Runner. www.marshall.edu. connecttheworld.blogs.cnn.com. Khaled Hosseini. Order of Presentation. Setting Historical Overview Taliban Religion Ethnic Groups Afghanistan Today Essential Questions.

Download Presentation

Background and Overview of Khaled Hosseini’s The Kite Runner

An Image/Link below is provided (as is) to download presentation

Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Presentation Transcript


Background and overview of khaled hosseini s the kite runner

www.afghan-web.com

Afghan flag

Background and Overview of Khaled Hosseini’sThe Kite Runner

www.marshall.edu

connecttheworld.blogs.cnn.com

Khaled Hosseini


Order of presentation

Order of Presentation

  • Setting

  • Historical Overview

  • Taliban

  • Religion

  • Ethnic Groups

  • Afghanistan Today

  • Essential Questions

georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov

At a movie screening


Setting afghanistan

Setting: Afghanistan

  • Afghanistan is a land-locked country in the Middle East.

  • It is bordered by Iran, Pakistan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, and China.

www.worldatlas.com


Historical overview of afghanistan

Historical Overview of Afghanistan

www.cia.gov

  • In the mid-1700s, the capital city was moved to Kabul.

  • In the mid-1800s, the country was mostly controlled by Great Britain. In 1919, Afghans fought for freedom and became an independent nation.


Historical overview continued

Historical Overview, Continued

  • In 1978, the PDPA (People’s Democratic Party of Afghanistan) rose to power. They advocated for women’s rights and for land redistribution amongst the poor. Under the leadership of President Carter, the U.S. helped finance these reforms.

www.womenforwomen.org


Historical overview continued1

Historical Overview, Continued

zamaaneh.com

  • These reforms occurred during the Cold War (a conflict between the U.S. and the Soviet Union). Because the Soviet Union felt threatened by U.S. involvement, Soviets invaded Afghanistan in 1979.

answersinhistory.wordpress.com


Historical overview continued2

Historical Overview, Continued

  • 10 years later, in 1989, the Soviets withdrew from Afghanistan. However, neither the U.S. or the Soviets helped rebuild war-torn Afghanistan. In the aftermath of the conflict, the Taliban rose to power.

www.pakistantoday.com.pk

www.nydailynews.com


Taliban rule

Taliban Rule

www.theguardian.com

  • During this seven-year period, Muslim extremist groups such as al-Qaida gained popularity.

  • In addition, women’s freedoms were severely curtailed.

  • Finally, extreme and inhumane punishments were enacted for crimes such as theft.

www.cartoonstock.com


Religion

Religion

  • Nearly 80% of Afghans are Sunni Muslims, while the remaining 20% are Shi’a.

  • Sunnis and Shi’as primarily disagree on the rightful successors of Muhammad.

  • In the novel, Amir is Sunni and Hassan is Shi’a.

teachmiddleeast.lib.uchicago.edu

Mosque of the Prophet

Medina, Saudi Arabia


Ethnic groups

Ethnic Groups

  • Pashtuns are the largest ethnic group at nearly 42% while Hazaras comprise approximately 9%. Historically, there has been conflict between these two groups.

  • Physically, the differences between the two groups are subtle. Generally, the Pashtuns have straighter noses and wider eyes while the Hazaras have more Asian features (wider noses and smaller eyes).

  • Amir is Pashtun while Hassan is Hazara.

newamericamedia.org

www.hazarajaat.com


Afghanistan today

Afghanistan Today

en.wikipedia.org

  • In late 2001 (after 9/11), the U.S. invaded Afghanistan and overthrew the Taliban regime.

  • A new president, Hamid Karzai was appointed.

  • Unfortunately, Afghanistan still struggles with Taliban insurgents, illegal opium trading, active landmines, and poverty.

www.dailymaverick.co.za


Essential questions

Essential Questions

  • How does my past influence me?

  • How can I allow my past to assist others?

therunkiter.wordpress.com

Hassan and Amir


Works cited

Works Cited

"Afghanistan." Wikipedia. 12 June 2008. 25 June 2008

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afghanistan>.

Hosseini, Khaled. The Kite Runner. New York City: Riverhead

Books, 2004.


  • Login