Rotary international & first move chess.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Founded by Paul Harris in 1905 Rotary is the world’s premier global service organization on the forefront of tackling major humanitarian challenges facing the world today including maternal and child health, clean water, education and sanitation, and disease prevention and treatment.
Rotary offers a grassroots approach to problem solving. Rotary club members understand the needs of their communities and have boots on the ground to develop and implement effective, sustainable projects.
There are 3 Rotary Clubs in Saint Lucia
2 Rotaract Clubs for young professionals
4 Interact Clubs in Secondary schools
Rotary has 1,200 000 members worldwide in over 160 countries made up of business people and civic leaders
Current projects of the Rotary Club of Saint Lucia
Provision of a Mobile Youth Counseling Clinic this August to be operated by the Planned
Parenthood Organization, NSDC, RISE Saint Lucia Ltd., Belfund and the Ministry of Health
- Tree planting in cooperation with ARC in Dennery
- Worldwide environmental projects in cooperation with World ARC in South Africa, Bali,
- Joint EC$ 500,000.00 Water Project in Babonneau
- Joint Annual Rotary Camp d-life for diabetic youth
- Fruit tree planting in schools and health centres island wide scheduled for June 2013
- Operation of Rotary food bank for app. 40 households
- Annual feeding of homeless persons
- Christmas hamper distribution to app 50 - 75 households
- Rotary Calabashers charity concerts and donations
- Rotary International Group Study Exchange
- Sponsorship of Rotaract and Interact youth organizations
- Annual “Easter Anti Drug Camp” for youth at risk
- SALCC Technical and Vocational Awards of Excellence
- Community vocational Award to 1-3 Saint Lucians
- Contributions to “End Polio Now” through the Rotary Foundation
- Maintenance of Four way Test Signs in schools island wide
- Vocational talks in Secondary Schools
- Doctors in Action
-School feeding at La Croix Maingot Primary School
Annual visit and lunch with the 100 students at Dunnottar school
- First Move Chess in Primary Schools starting in September 2012
Using First Move to Teach Critical Thinking
…uses chess as a learning tool to develop critical thinking skills, improve social skills, and increase overall academic achievement for second and third graders.
Independent research states:
All studies on chess as a learning tool have shown an increase in academic achievement.
“First Move’s research and standards
based curriculum increases math and
reading aptitude.” (Woo, 2009)