2. HOSA A student-led organization with a program of work designed to recruit qualified students, provide developmental opportunities and develop the future leaders of the health care community.
3. Why HOSA? Early 1970s – HOE (Health Science) programs started
Part of Vocational (now Career Tech) Education
Mid 1970s – Health Care Leaders wanted healthcare organization
HOSA founded in 1976
4. HOSA is Curricular HOSA activities relate to the delivery of health care.
HOSA activities are an outgrowth of the Health Science Education program.
HOSA extends the classroom.
HOSA supports the school/state curriculum.
5. HOSA is for All Future Health Care Professionals HOSA activities can be offered for students who plan to pursue a health career when a health science program does not exist.
HOSA chapters can be sponsored by health care community agencies.
6. HOSA’s Mission
7. HOSA Goals To promote opportunities in the health professions.
To develop effective leadership qualities and skills.
To develop character.
To build pride and self-confidence.
8. HOSA members engage in learning outside the classroom And develop an understanding of current health care issues, environmental concerns, and survival needs of the community, the nation, and the world.
9. The HOSA Organization
10. Local Chapters HOSA chapter involves HSE students.
The HSE instructor serves as the HOSA chapter advisor.
Chapter members elect officers.
Chapter members participate in school, community, regional, state and national activities.
11. State Associations State Officers lead State Associations.
State HOSA Advisor(s) represent the sponsoring agency and advise State Officers. Chapter members participate in state conferences.
12. National Level Endorsed by the U.S. Department of Education
Local members affiliate with State and National HOSA
HOSA, Inc. is the legal entity of HOSA
National Headquarters in Flower Mound, TX
13. National HOSA Leadership
14. National HOSA Leadership
15. HOSA Provides a Spark for Learning… The National Competitive Events Program!!
16. Offering 55 Leadership and Health-Related Events
21. Positive contribution to the community
A pulse on the future
Easy access (captive audience)
Partner in developing future employees
Exposure to the REAL healthcare world
22. Positive affiliation – adolescent need to belong
Service activities serve the school
Positive PR – community and parent connection
23. MORE learning – connects classroom with the real world
Gets teacher closer to the student
Go to the head of the class
Takes the “ER” out of the career decision-making process
Opportunity for achievement
The HOSA Motto
“The Hands of HOSA Mold the Health of Tomorrow”
26. For More Information about HOSA– Visit HOSA’s web site @ www.hosa.org
Call National HOSA @ 1-800-321-HOSA