Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
3. 2.0 Introduction In this chapter we will examine the philosophical beliefs that influence curriculum.
4. 2.0 Introduction
Do you have your own philosophy in life?
5. 2.1 What is Philosophy? From Greek word,
“philos” + “sophia” => philosophy
(love) (wisdom) (love of wisdom)
What is truth?
How do we know what we know?
What is thought?
Do our actions result from thinking or emotions?
What is special about being human being?
What is beauty?
6. 2.2 Philosophy of Education Is a study of questions such as:
What is education?
What is the purpose of education?
What does it mean to know something?
What is the relationship between education and society?
What values determine the development of civil society?
What are the needs of children?
7. 2.2 Philosophy of Education in Malaysia "Education in Malaysia is an on-going effort towards further developing the potential of individuals in a holistic and integrated manner, so as to produce individuals who are intellectually, spiritually, emotionally and physically balanced and harmonic, based on a firm belief in and devotion to God. Such an effort is designed to produce Malaysian citizens who are knowledgeable and competent, who possess high moral standards and who are responsible and capable of achieving high level of personal well-being as well as being able to contribute to the harmony and betterment of the family, the society and the nation at large"
8. 2.3 Philosophy and Curriculum Philosophy is basis of decisions regarding curriculum (aims, selection, organization and implementation)
Helps to answer to questions such as:
What are schools for?
What subjects are of value?
How should students learn the content?
What homework to assign and how?
9. 2.3 Philosophy and Curriculum What is the basis of philosophy in Malaysian Educational Philosophy?
How is it translated to Curriculum?
10. 2.4 4 philosophical perspectives (1/2)
11. 2.4 4 philosophical perspectives (2/2) To your mind how do the 4 Philosophies Influence Curriculum?
Please try out activity 2.3
Which philosophy suits best our national curriculum?
12. 2.5 Farabi, Confucious and Tagore Link
What are the differences?
What are the similarities?
Choose one from the three different ideas. What are the implications on Curriculum Design?
Which idea you would adopt in designing curriculum and how you will apply it for national schools ?
13. Conclusion Philosophy enable us to explain what, where, who, why, when and how of curriculum