Declaration of Rights of Man and Citizen Constitution of 1791 Jacobins Robespierre Reign of Terror Committee of Public Safety The Directory. Key Terms – The French Revolution. Estates General First Estate Second Estate Third Estate Louis XVI Tennis Court Oath National Assembly
Declaration of Rights of Man and Citizen
Constitution of 1791
Reign of Terror
Committee of Public Safety
- With the creation of the National Assembly came great unrest in France.
- Louis XVI would threaten to arrest those who opposed him which infuriated the rioters further
- The rioters would storm a fortress known as the Bastille and steal numerous weapons.
- This day would be known as Bastille Day (July 14,1789)
- The National Assembly would make two large changes to French government:
- Created a bill of rights known as the Declaration of Rights of Man and Citizen
- Created the Constitution of 1791 which established a limited monarchy
- Jacobins → radical French group that convinced the French that the king was working against them.
- After convincing the French of this plot, Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette were arrested and the First French Republic was created.
- Maximilian Robespierre would become the leader of the Committee of Public Safety.
- Committee of Public Safety → group that maintained order in France
-Robespierre would kill any citizens that he believed were against the Revolution
- This would lead to the Reign of Terror → period of 11 months when 30,000 people were killed.