Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use only and may not be sold or licensed nor shared on other sites. SlideServe reserves the right to change this policy at anytime. While downloading, If for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. Hans Morgenthau
3. Political Realism Some claim that Morgenthau is the founder of international relations as an independent discipline. Before him, it was studied under history, political thought or international law
4. Principles of Political Realism 1. Political realism believes that politics, like society in general, is governed by objective laws that have their roots in human nature. In order to improve society it is first necessary to understand the laws by which society lives. The operation of these laws being impervious to our preferences, men will challenge them only at the risk of failure
7. 6. The difference, then, between political realism and other schools of thought is real, and it is profound. However much the theory of political realism may have been misunderstood and misinterpreted, there is no gainsaying its distinctive intellectual and moral attitude to matters political.
8. Key Parts Know that Morgenthau lived in the 20th century and through the wars
Wrote a book that explained a new concept at the time
Know roughly the 6 principles of Political Realism
Know how Political Realism impacted our politics today
(realism, self interest, power)
9. Bibliography Politics Among Nations: The Struggle for Power and Peace (1948) New York NY: Alfred A. Knopf.