Wikis in Education. Eastern Michigan University EDMT 680. Kaisa Mikkola Kathy Lester . Wikis in Education. What is a Wiki ? How to Use Wikis Why Use a Wiki ? Examples Summary. Wikis in Education. What is a Wiki? How to Use Wikis Why Use a Wiki Examples Summary.
Eastern Michigan University
What is a Wiki?
Ward Cunningham is the man behind the very first wiki, described it as "the simplest online database that could possibly work”
(Nations, 2009, p. 1)
Wikis in Plain English
by Common Craft
Click arrow to continue
How to Use Wikis
- Compare wiki services at: http://www.wikimatrix.org/
Why Use a Wiki?
The pass rate increased, when Paulson switched to cooperative and active learning strategies.
For more information on cooperative learning go to: http://serc.carleton.edu/introgeo/cooperative/whyuse.html
- Johnson and Johnson (as cited in Warburton, 2006)
Why cooperative and active learning strategies?
Creating, adding to, and modifying content in a wiki moves students up into the higher order thinking skills of Bloom’s revised taxonomy (Churches, 2008)
A Vision of K-12 Students Today
by B. Nesbitt
Click arrow to continue
Click arrow to continue cooperative and active learning strategiesWhat Students Say
“A power shift is underway and a tough new business rule is emerging: Harness the collaboration process or perish” -Tapscott and Williams (as cited in Ferriter, 2009, p. 38)
- See TeachersFirst Wiki Walk-Through for many other specific ideas: http://www.teachersfirst.com/content/wiki/wikiideas1.cfm
Classroom cooperative and active learning strategies
Churches, A. (2008, April 1). Bloom's taxonomy blooms digitally. Retrieved July 25, 2009, from Tech & Learning Educators' Ezine: http://www.techlearning.com/article/8670
Common Craft. (2007, May 29). Wikis in plain English. Retrieved July 30, 2009, from YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dnL00TdmLY
Davis, V. A. (2006, October 12). The web 2.0 classroom. Retrieved July 23, 2009, from K12 Online Conference: http://k12online.wm.edu/Web20classroom.pdf
Davis, V. A. (2007). Wikis in the classroom. Retrieved July 23, 2009, from SlideShare: http://www.slideshare.net/coolcatteacher/wikis-in-the-classroom
Fedigan, A. (2009). What students say about using a wiki. Retrieved July 28, 2009, from VoiceThread: http://voicethread.com/#q.b330469.i1750705
Ferriter, B. (2009). Learning with blogs and wikis. Educational Leadership, 66 (5), 34-38.
Klingman, G. (2007, December 5). Wiki: Bear-Den. Retrieved July 27, 2009, from Examples of Educational Wikis: http://educationalwikis.wikispaces.com/Examples+of+educational+wikis
Lamey, L. (2007, December 2). Wiki: A Tool for Collaboration. Retrieved July 21, 2009, from wikisforcollaboration: http://wikisforcollaboration.wikispaces.com/file/view/Wiki+Presentation.ppt
Lindsay, J., & Davis, V. (2007). Flat classrooms. Learning & Leading with Technology, 35 (1), 28-30.
Maine, L. (2008). Why wiki. Retrieved July 21, 2009, from Edutopia: http://www.edutopia.org/files/existing/pdfs/edutopia.org-way-of-the-wiki-louise-maine-why.pdf
Maine, L. (2009, June). Wiki central: presentation for NECC 2009. Retrieved July 23, 2009, from SlideShare: http://www.slideshare.net/hurricanemaine/wikicentral-reso-for-necc?type=presentation
Nations, D. (2009). What is a wiki? Retrieved August 3, 2009, from About.com: web trends: http://webtrends.about.com/od/wiki/a/what_is_a_wiki.htm
Nesbitt, B. (2007, November 28). A vision of K-12 students today. Retrieved July 20, 2009, from YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A-ZVCjfWf8
Parker, K. R., & Chao, J. T. (2007). Wiki as a teaching tool. Interdisciplinary Journal of Knowledge and Learning Objects, 3, 57-72.
Paulson, D. R. (1999). Active learning and cooperative learning in the organic chemistry lecture class. Chemical Education Research, 76 (8), 1136-1140.
Richardson, W. (2005). What's a wiki? A powerful collaborative tool for teaching and learning. That's What! Multimedia & [email protected], 12 (6), 17-21.
Rubenstein, G. (2008, August 13). Wiki woman: how a web tool saved my career. Retrieved July 15, 2009, from Edutopia: http://www.edutopia.org/wiki-teacher
Warburton, S. (2006). Wikis and collaboration: approaches to deploying wikis in educational settings. Retrieved July 25, 2009, from SlideShare: http://www.slideshare.net/stevenw/wikis-and-collaboration-approaches-to-deploying-wikis-in-educational-settings?src=related_normal&rel=935188
What about wikis. (2007-2009). Retrieved August 3, 2009, from Teach web 2.0: http://teachweb2.wikispaces.com/What+about+Wikis
Wiki. (2009). Retrieved July 31, 2009, from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki
Image Sources listed in slide order (continued): cooperative and active learning strategies
22. Hand Circle: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/clipart/default.aspx
23. Students with Laptop: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/clipart/default.aspx
24. Boys on Computers: http://www.flickr.com/photos/extraketchup/719557295/
25. Mrs. Maine’s Wiki: http://mrsmaineswiki.wikispaces.com/
26. Wiki-Centric Pedagogy: http://www.slideshare.net/coolcatteacher/wikis-in-the-classroom
27. Bear Den: http://bear-den.wikispaces.com/
28. Global Gorillas: http://jabernethy.wikispaces.com/
29. Hands on Globe: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/clipart/default.aspx
30. Flat Classroom: http://flatclassroomproject2006.wikispaces.com/file/view/cc3.JPG
31. Teacher with Laptop: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/clipart/default.aspx
32. 21st Century Learning: http://21stcenturylearning.wetpaint.com/
34. Behind Laptop: http://www.flickr.com/photos/foreversouls/3365427886/
35. Teacher with Laptop 2: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/clipart/default.aspx
36. They’re not here to socialize: http://www.innovationcreators.com/SocialSoftware.png