The Effects of Chivalry and Group Size on Helping Behavior. Jessica Heun Nathaniel Moore. Chivalry. A “cultural script prescribing the preferential treatment of women by men in the contexts of protection and provision” (Altermatt, 2001). Chivalry Findings.
Chivalry Scale (α = .86)
- A man has an obligation to protect a woman who is in danger (Altermatt, 2001).
Attitude toward Women Scale (α = .77)
- Women should worry less about their rights and more about becoming good wives and mothers (Spence, Helmreich, & Stapp, 1974).
- 3 others: situational pressure = don’t help
- 1 other: situation ambiguous = personality factors become more influential
- Greatest chivalry effect (difference = 1.823 minutes)Interpretations