Cell Theory. All living things are made of cells Cells are the basic unit of life Cells today come only from other living cells. Robert Hooke first saw cells in 1665. The Structure of a Cell. All cells have Plasma membrane Cytosol DNA Ribosomes. Two Major Types of Cells. Prokaryotic
Robert Hooke first saw cells in 1665
everything inside the cell but the nucleus
The human body has over 5 billion cells. The largest animal is the blue whale, Balaenoptera musculus. It is known to reach lengths over 100 feet (30+ meters) and weigh 120 tons.
So, why aren’t there organisms composed of one really big cell?
Now = GLYCOPROTEIN
THE SECRETORY PATHWAY: A MODEL carbohydrate group
1. Proteins are synthesized in the RER
2. Protein exits RER in a vesicle.
cis face of Golgi apparatus
3. Protein travels through the cisternae of the Golgi apparatus.
4. Protein enters a secretory vesicle that fuses with cell membrane.
trans face of Golgi apparatus
5. Protein is secreted from cell.