From Innovation to Commercialization. Dr. I-lin Cheng. Contents. Basics. Managing Chaos. Living with Chaos. Conclusions. Basics. Those who win shall not compete ! Those who plan well shall not fight !
From Innovation to Commercialization
Dr. I-lin Cheng
Those who plan well shall not fight !
Those who fight well shall not lose !
Those who always lose shall not panic !
˙ lean mfg
Successful innovation requires carefully crafted strategies and implementation processes.
Most innovative ideas do not become successful new products.
- analog vs. digital
- atoms vs. bits
- value creation and differentiation
- today is not the future of yesterday,
but is the past of tomorrow
- using benchmarking for continuous
improvement on the same locus
- using breakthrough for destructive
construction on different locus
- co-existence of apparent
“management by opportunity” :
- non-linear thinking
- ability to face change should be much
larger than that of planning
- replace “strategic planning” by “strategic
- get rid of your presumptions, as many
innovations came from unexpected
- there is only unthinkable but no
- on weekly or daily basis, as the
customers’ demand may change
due to technical or market reasons
- set up the point of dropping
- define the core technologies that are
needed from the customers’ needs which
shall have large chances to extend to your
next round of businesses.
- remember that organization is the
route rather than the purpose
- the boundaries both inside and
outside the organization shall be a
little bit fuzzy so as to form an eco-
system toward a so-called virtual
- recruiting, education, exploiting and
- from do things right ( training) to do
the right thing (education )
- nourishing four capabilities, namely,
mindset, value system, skill and
From manager to supporter
Manager gradually delegating to members
Manager as co-worker
Manager as supporter
and market pull
problems seeking solutions just as
many solutions finding problems
out the chances in the cyber space.
-- Focus of the overt benefit.
- Do one thing great.
-- Provide a reason-to-believe.
- Why are you so special ?
-- Show a dramatic difference.
- Prove it.
Any Questions ?