Truck Tire Rolling Resistance. Load. Tread isCompressed
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. Line Haul Tire Rolling Resistance & Fuel Economy Overview - TRALA GHG Webinar - 1/24/2011
Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
Project Manager - Line Haul Truck
2. Truck Tire Rolling Resistance
3. Truck Tire Rolling Resistance Testing Method
4. Tire Factors (Rolling Resistance) The less rolling resistance a tire creates, the better the fuel economy. Look at the affect these tire components have on rolling resistance. As you can see, 60% of the fuel efficiency gains result from the tire’s tread.
The less rolling resistance a tire creates, the better the fuel economy. Look at the affect these tire components have on rolling resistance. As you can see, 60% of the fuel efficiency gains result from the tire’s tread.
5. New Technologies to Reduce Tire Rolling Resistance
7. Truck Tire Rolling Resistance
Tractor-Trailer Fuel Economy Performance
8. Factors Affecting Truck Tire Rolling Resistance/Fuel Economy
9. Vehicle Drag Forces @ 65 mph - Example
10. Tire Drag Forces (Rolling Resistance)
11. On-Vehicle Evaluation
Four standard industry test procedures
SAE J1376 Engineering Type Procedure
SAE J1321 Type II Procedure
SAE J1526 Type III Procedure
TMC RP 1109 Type IV Procedure
12. Controlled Vehicle Test Environment vs Real Life
14. US-EPA voluntary program to improve energy efficiency & reduce greenhouse gases.US-EPA voluntary program to improve energy efficiency & reduce greenhouse gases.
15. Tire companies that are approved Partners:
14 New tire manufacturers
Over 90 tires and growing
SmartWay™ classifies Partners as entities that commit to direct emissions reductions and fuel savings. I.e Fleets
Goodyear would be classified as a SmartWay™ Affiliate
16. What qualifies a tire to become SmartWay approved?
By wheel position: Steer / Drive / Trailer
Retreads approval expected Q3 2011
Open shoulder drive tires under review
EPA has established rolling resistance values by wheel position that companies must meet
Rolling resistance coefficient
Values will be continually reduced over time i.e 2014
18. Essentially regulating based on Smartway standards.Essentially regulating based on Smartway standards.
19. CARB Implementation Schedule
20. Questions ?