Size , Levels and Functions of LG. The basic theoretical questions of local governance are oriented around the following issues: 1. T ype of basic units; 2. Tiers of the administrative structure; 3. Internal organization of municipalities;
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. Type of basic units;
2. Tiers of the administrative structure;
3. Internal organization of municipalities;
4. Evolving elements of change, such as the development of responsibilities and financial management.
( secondary school, regional funds for providing special jobs and regional development... )
The counties kept more functions than in Sweden.
Each type is the generalization of very different cases worked out by history.
1. The commune (gmina) shall be the basic unit of local self-government.
2. Other units of regional and/or local self-government shall be specified by statute.
3. The commune shall perform all tasks of local self-government not reserved to other units of local self-government.
There are no hierarchical relations between the two levels of local government. As declared by the constitution, the fundamental rights of all local governments are equal. County local governments neither are superior organs to municipalities, and nor do they have supervisory authority over them.
The functions of municipalities—village and city settlements—are enumerated by the Act on Local Governments. Mandatory tasks prescribed by the act include the provision of healthy drinking water, kindergarten education, primary school instruction and education, basic health and welfare services, public lighting, local public roads and public cemeteries and the protection of the rights of ethnic and national minorities. A local government freely may undertake optional tasks determined on the basis of the requirements of the population and financial means available.