Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use only and may not be sold or licensed nor shared on other sites. SlideServe reserves the right to change this policy at anytime. While downloading, If for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. The Book That Saved the Earth http://www.opencourtresources.comhttp://www.opencourtresources.com
2. Story Vocabulary
3. era use context clues
The twentieth century was often
called the Era of the Book.
The book I am reading takes place during the Victorian Era.
era: a period of time in history,
usually beginning or ending on
an important date
4. insignificant - use context clues and word structure
I wish to be put in communication with . . .
The ridiculous little planet we are going to put under our generous rulership. You see how insignificant . . . the place is?
All living things are important. No living
thing is insignificant.
insignificant: not important.
5. primitive- use context clues
I want to invade that primitive ball of
mud called Earth before lunch.
Even primitive people living thousands
of years ago had star observations.
primitive: living in the ways of long
6. pantomimes use context clues
He bites down on corner of book, and pantomimes chewing and swallowing, while making terrible faces.
My favorite storyteller is one who pantomimes
a story instead of telling it.
pantomimes : uses bodily movements or facial expressions, instead of speech, to tell a story
7. cease use context clues
Cease laughter. Desist.
The principal ordered my class to cease talking and pay attention to the teacher.
cease: to bring an activity or action
to an end
8. Word Knowledge These words are synonyms. Synonyms are words that have the same or nearly the same meanings. What is the meaning of each pair? Can you think of other synonyms?
9. Word KnowledgeWhat do the following words have in common?
10. Word KnowledgeWhat do the following words have in common? certainly
11. Word KnowledgeWhat do the following words have in common? humor
12. Sentence Analysis Pay no attention to the insignificant details.
13. Sentence Analysis The twentieth century ended when the new millennium began.
14. Sentence Analysis Ive just run a long race, she said slowly and certainly.
15. Sentence Analysis It is important to realize that a healthy diet is necessary.