1. 1 Fellowships for students planning to enter graduate school in Sept. 2011 NSERC
Deadlines to department
NSERC, CIHR masters, Affiliated Fellowships –
Friday, Sep 24, 4:00 pm
MSFHR – Friday, Sep 10, 4:00pm
2. 2 NSERC/CIHR/Affiliated Fellowship
3. 3 NSERC/CIHR/MSFHR/AF – some FAQs Can I apply to both NSERC and CIHR studentships?
Can I apply to both NSERC and MSFHR?
What about AF?
4. 4 NSERC/CIHR/MSFHR/Affiliated Fellowships – FAQs Citizenship requirements
NSERC, CIHR, and MSFHR applicants must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents.
Affiliated Fellowship applicants have no citizenship requirements.
5. 5 NSERC/CIHR/AF Internal departmental deadline
Friday September 24, 2010, 4:00 pm
Biochemistry & Molecular Biology - Graduate Programs Office
Life Sciences Centre, Room 1.360
6. 6 NSERC Before you complete any forms…
1. Review the "Program Guide for Students and Fellows":
2. Review information on the Graduate Studies web site:
7. 7 NSERC - Eligibility First-class standing (min 80% at UBC) in each of the last two completed years of study
Canadian citizens or permanent residents
Students must intend to pursue in the following year full-time graduate studies and research at the master's or doctoral level in one of the areas of the natural sciences and engineering supported by NSERC.
8. 8 NSERC - Masters level PGS M: $17,300, one year
CGS M: $17,500, one year
Scholarship support is for a maximum duration of 12 months (extension see Program Guide).
To hold these awards you must be registered full-time in the first or second year of your master’s or doctoral program at an eligible university
9. 9 NSERC Fill out and submit the online Form 201 at www.nserc.ca
Submit official, up-to-date copies of all transcripts and translations to the department
10. 10 NSERC Obtain Form 201 at:
Pages 1 - 6
Appendix 1: Report on the Applicant (2 required)
Appendix 2: Department/University evaluation
Appendix 3: Consent form and Statistical Information
11. NSERC Doctoral level PGS D: $21,000 PA for up to three years
CGS D: $35,000 PA for up to three years
must have completed, as of December 31 of the year of application, between zero and 24 months of studies (full-time equivalent) in a doctoral program
12. NSERC Selection Criteria
13. 13 CIHR ONLY CGS M (Master’s) is administered by the Faculty of Graduate Studies
Check CIHR and Graduate Studies web sites for updates:
CGS D is sent directly to CIHR
14. Apply at www.cihr.ca > Current Opportunities
Follow the instructions identified in the Master's Awards - Web Forms "Application" Phase Instructions
Applicants also need to complete a common CV form.
All transcripts need to be original copies.
Due by 4:00 pm, Friday Sep 24, 2010. CIHR (Master’s)
15. 15 CIHR Eligibility First-class standing (min 80% at UBC) in each of the last two completed years of study
Canadian citizens or permanent residents are eligible
Only those students engaged in full-time Master’s programs in which research is a major component are eligible for support
16. CIHR Selection Criteria
17. 17 Affiliated Fellowships Open to all current graduate students regardless of citizenship.
Not available to final year undergraduates
An umbrella term for a collection of awards supported by government and university funds as well as private donors.
Funding levels are between $8,000 and $27,500 per year depending on the specific award (the Killam Awards are highest).
18. Affiliated Fellowships Anyone who submits a NSERC or a CIHR masters application is automatically considered for a Affiliated Fellowship.
International students and CIHR doctoral applicants must submit a separate AF application.
Applications are available at: http://www.grad.ubc.ca/awards/index.asp?menu=004,000,000,000
19. Affiliated Fellowship (AF) Selection Criteria
20. MSFHR Studentships MSFHR - a provincial agency for the Health Sciences.
For Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents entering universities in BC.
$20,000 per annum + $5,000 research allowance.
May be held (at a reduced level) in conjunction with another scholarship.
Submit application to Faculty of Graduate Studies. http://www.grad.ubc.ca/awards/canada-graduate-scholarship-michael-smith-foreign-study-supplement
604 822 5925
Life Sciences Centre Room 1.360