Loading in 2 Seconds...
Loading in 2 Seconds...
Portela limitations and the need for a single new Airport for Lisbon. ADP Studies and Today presentation. ADP undertook in 1998-19999 a synthesis of the previous studies of new airport sites (Ota and Rio Frio), complemented by : - Update of traffic forecast
a single new Airport for Lisbon
1 - Jean-Marie Chevallier - Aéroports de Paris / ADPi. 22/11/2005
ADP undertook in 1998-19999 a synthesis of the previous studies of new airport sites (Ota and Rio Frio), complemented by :
Today presentation, based on materials from this consultancy comprises :
2020 traffic forecast
4.4% average growth
Long term potential
Portela capacity (13 to 20 Mp) is not sufficient for the long term.
A new airport site is a must for Lisbon, as even Super Portela would not be sufficient beyond 2020.
When to move to the new airport ?
- Building a new airport may be a lengthy process, about 8 to 10 years
- Traffic forecasts show that Portela may reach capacity soon : 13 Mp in 2009, 17 Mp in 2015 !
The multi-criteria analysis clearly showed the following.
On account of the Government decision to disqualify Rio Frio sites for risk of “serious, irreversible and non mitigatible natural environment impact”, Ota is an acceptable site for the new Lisbon airport.
- Munich (1992), Oslo (1998) and Athens (2001) all decided, with comparable level of traffic, to transfer in full and one shot to the new airport, the old one being closed to air traffic.
- Such split would be a disaster for TAP Air Portugal, then unable to built a competitive hub between continental and intercontinental services
- Compatibility of significant air traffic at both Ota and Portela does not seem practicable from ATC viewpoint
- Cost of running 2 airports instead of one would be significantly higher
- Continuation of air operations in Portela would also mean continuation of noise impact over approximately 200 000 people which could be spared with the full transfer.
- Redevelopment of Portela and surroundings will be easier with full closure to air traffic
Like in Munich, Oslo and Athens, we recommend the full closure of Portela to air traffic at opening of Ota new airport.
Assuming an implementation time between 8 to 10 years for Ota new airport, the traffic expected at the opening will be over 15 Mp and like in the above examples, the first stage of construction will have to include 2 runways and a passenger terminal ~20 Mp.
Thank you for your attention.