Social effects of the media. Media and violence. Most researchers agree that there is an increase in viewer aggression as a result of exposure to violent content Aggressive cues theory S-R learning theory Social cognitive theory Observational learning Information processing theory.
Subjects in the experimental group were less likely to provide reward and more likely to inflict aggression (electric shock) on a fellow subject.
1) the attractiveness of the perpetrator;
2) the attractiveness of the victim;
3) whether the violence is justified;
4) the presence of weapons;
5) the extent and graphic quality of the violence;
6) the punishment and rewards from the violence;
7) pain/harm cues; and
A majority of the investigations into the impact of media violence on children find that there is a moderate correlation(approx. r=.30) between exposure to media violence and aggressive behavior.