Social effects of the media. Media and violence. Most researchers agree that there is an increase in viewer aggression as a result of exposure to violent content Aggressive cues theory S-R learning theory Social cognitive theory Observational learning Information processing theory.
Social effects of the media
Subjects in the experimental group were less likely to provide reward and more likely to inflict aggression (electric shock) on a fellow subject.
1) the attractiveness of the perpetrator;
2) the attractiveness of the victim;
3) whether the violence is justified;
4) the presence of weapons;
5) the extent and graphic quality of the violence;
6) the punishment and rewards from the violence;
7) pain/harm cues; and
A majority of the investigations into the impact of media violence on children find that there is a moderate correlation(approx. r=.30) between exposure to media violence and aggressive behavior.