Mutations. Mutations. Hollywood’s images of mutation. Mutations. Actual Mutations in fruit flies. What is a mutation?. A mutation is any change in a cell’s DNA A mutation can occur in an individual gene - results in a single changed protein
in fruit flies
- results in a single changed protein
- cystic fibrosis a mutation in the protein that makes a type of ion channels in cell membrane
- bacterial resistance to antibiotics is an example of a beneficial gene mutation
- a chromosome contains many genes
- chromosomal mutations affect many
Examples: Down Syndrome
- mutations occur in 1/100,000 DNA replications
The effects of insertions or deletions are more dramatic.
The addition or deletion of a nucleotide causes a shift in the grouping of codons.
Changes like these are called frameshift mutations.