The Chemistry of Life. Chapter 2. Water. Water makes up approx 70 to 95 percent of most organisms. When the electrons in a covalent bond are not shared equally they form a polar molecule.
2. 2 fatty acids
3. Phosphate head
1 side chain
1 Carboxyl group
H R H R
H - N - C - C - OH + H - N - C - C - OH
H O H O
A phosphate group
*Only in DNA
*Only in RNA
1. The enzyme shape makes it able to do
2. The active site is the place on the enzyme
where the rxn occurs.
3. The substance the enzyme act upon is the
* The active site must fit the shape of the substrate
4. The substrate and the active site of
the enzyme come together briefly to form
the enzyme - substrate complex.
*While temporarily together the enzyme may make or
break bonds within the substrate.
* Note enzymes are
not changed by the rxn
the bond between the
disaccharide maltose in
the previous slide?
What rxn also occurred during that reaction?
Key factors in the rate of diffusion: concentration, temperature,