T E N S E S. Matrix #1. Fundamental Tenses. Present Simple Past Simple Future Simple Present Progressive Past Progressive Present Perfect Past Perfect. Simple Past vs. Present Perfect. I (play) a lot of tennis this year. She (have) six different jobs since she left school.
T E N S E S
have you drunk
did not work
1. I can’t afford that car. It .... too much.
a. costc. is costing
b. costsd. is cost
2. Janet can’t come to the phone because she .... her hair.
a. washc. washes
b. is washingd. is wash
3. Something .... very good.
a. smellc. smells
b. is smellingd. is smell
4. When Jim ... home, his wife ... dinner.
a. came - cookedc. came - was cooking
b. was coming - cookedd. was coming - was cooking
5. At one time, Mr. John Smith ... this building.
a. ownc. is owning
b. ownedd. was owning
6. George .... this movie three times.
a. sawc. has seen
b. have seend. see
7. We ... our reports yet.
a. have writtenc. wrote
b. haven’t writtend. will not write
8. After Henry ..... Sidney, he ... to Perth.
a. visited - wentc. had visited - went
b. visited - had goned. had visited - had gone
9. The view of these disciplines ... from time to time.
a. varyc. have varied
b. variesd. is going to vary
10. The fear of bomb and terrorism .... many people to flee the cities.
a. causec. has caused
b. have causedd. are going to cause
11. Do you mind if I turn the TV off? I ... a long distance call.
a. will placec. place
b. was placingd. am going to place
12. He .... on the grass under that tree over there.
a. layc. lays
b. is lyingd. is laying