The Gospel as Treasure 2 Timothy 1:8-18. Pastor Adams and Marie Meggs. Penn Jillette. DISCUSSION GUIDE. 1. What does Paul say that Timothy should not do and what does Paul encourage Timothy to do? (2 Timothy 1:8)
2 Timothy 1:8-18
1. What does Paul say that Timothy should not do and what does Paul encourage Timothy to do? (2 Timothy 1:8)
Timothy should not be ashamed to testify about the Lord or be ashamed of Paul. Timothy should join Paul in suffering for the gospel.
2. At the time of the writing of 2 Timothy, Paul had been imprisoned by Nero. Of whom does Paul say he is a prisoner? Why is this important? (2 Timothy 1:8)
Paul says he is a prisoner of the Lord.
3. Are we “ashamed to testify about our Lord”? What motivates us in this area?
5. What does Paul encourage Timothy to do through “the power of God?” (2 Timothy 1:8)
Suffer for the gospel.
6. What two things does Paul say that God has done for us? Why did God do these things? (2 Timothy 1:9)
He has saved us and called us to a holy life. God did these things because He has a purpose for us and because of His grace.
7. What did Christ do for us? (2 Timothy 1:9-10)
He provided grace for us, destroyed death and brought life and
immortality to light.
8. Paul says that he was appointed to do three things. What are they? In these roles what was Paul to do? (2 Timothy 1:11)
Paul was appointed to be a herald, an apostle and a teacher. He was to serve in these capacities for “this gospel.”
9. What kept Paul from being ashamed of the gospel? (2 Timothy 1:12)
He knows Jesus and is convinced that He is trustworthy.
10. Have you ever been ashamed of something that you believed?
11. What was Timothy to do with the training he received from Paul? (2 Timothy 1:13-14)
He was to keep it as a pattern of sound teaching and guard it with the help of the Holy Spirit.
12. Who had deserted Paul? Why do you think that Paul included this information? (2 Timothy 1:15)
Everyone in the province of Asia had deserted Paul, including Phygelus and Hermogenes.
13. What had Onesiphorus done for Paul? What did Paul want the Lord to grant to Onesiphorus? (2 Timothy 1:16-18)
Onesiphorus was not ashamed of Paul, but sought him out in Rome. Paul wanted the Lord to grant Onesiphorus mercy “on that day.”
14. Onesiphorus provided spiritual refreshment for Paul. Is there someone in your life right now for whom you can provide spiritual refreshment?
15. What role does suffering for the gospel play in your life right now?
My commitment to testify about the Lord is directly related to my devotion to Him.