Introduction to Prevailing Legislation. Purpose: Illustrate shifts in trends in disaster-related legislation. Give examples of current language and emphasis in recent legislation/legislation in process. Disaster-related legislation constantly evolves.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
to provide orderly/continuing means of assistance by:
1) revising & broadening scope of existing disaster relief programs
2)encouraging dev. of comprehensive disaster preparedness & assistance plans, programs, capabilities and organisations.
3) achieving greater coordination and responsiveness of preparedness and relief programs.
4) encouraging individuals, States and local govts to protect themselves by obtaining insurance….
4) … high priority should be given to mitigation of hazards at local level: and
5)with a unified effort of economic incentives, awareness, education, technical assistance and demonstrated Federal support, States and local govts will be able to… (eg form effective community-based partnerships)
To: implement pre-disaster hazard mitigation measures that are cost-effective, and
I) support public-private natural disaster mitigation partnerships
ii) improve assessment of a community’s vuln. to natural hazards.
Iii) est. hazard mitigation priorities & approp hazard mitigation plan for a community
1. Public/private agencies with specific skills in tech/scientific research with interest in pursuing disaster management objectives should cooperate with the organ responsible for disaster mgmt leadership
2. Cooperation includes…b) eg ‘study on adequate protection methods for people in general, for buildings…essential services’