Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
2. Parishes and the Los Angeles Synod Initiatives of 2003
3. Applying the Archdiocesan Pastoral Initiatives The Archdiocese of Los Angeles completed a “Synod” or legislative gathering of selected Catholics in 2003.
4. The Six Pastoral Initiatives At the close of the synod, synod representatives identified six initiatives:
Evangelization and the “New Evangelization.”
Structures for Participation and Accountability.
Ongoing Education and Formation: Adults, Young Adults, Youth.
Ministry and Leadership: Lay, Consecrated Life, Ordained.
Eucharist and Sacramental Living.
Social Justice: Living at the Service of God’s Reign.
5. Their Application to the Parish Cardinal Mahony accepted the six initiatives as “priorities” of the archdiocese. In other words, the six initiatives should be important to every LA Catholic.
6. Question for Reflection “If the six pastoral initiatives of the archdiocese were to become priorities of my parish, what would be different about it?”
7. Evangelization and the “New Evangelization” Evangelization demands that the values of the Reign of God – a reign of truth, holiness, justice, love, and peace – permeate each and every culture, transforming every sphere of life.
8. Structures for Participation and Accountability If all the baptized are to share in the Church’s mission, then the structures of Church life and governance must be renewed, and some new structures established, to allow for the greatest degree of participation on the part of the greatest number of the baptized.
9. Ongoing Education and Formation In order to be more effective in the Church’s mission, both now and in the decades ahead, clearer focus and more concerted effort must be given to ongoing education and formation throughout each stage of life.
10. Ministry and Leadership: Lay, Consecrated Life, Ordained Processes are to be established to ensure better collaboration and cooperation among the laity, religious, and clergy so that the laity can more effectively assume their baptismal responsibility in the mission of the Church.
11. Eucharist and Sacramental Living Each parish is to give priority to the Sunday celebration of Mass as the primary occasion and opportunity for revitalizing the spiritual life of the community and, accordingly, make appropriate provision for the full, conscious, and active participation of the faithful.
12. Social Justice: Living at the Service of God’s Reign On all levels, active collaboration with civil and religious institutions to improve the quality of life in the local community is to be fostered.
13. Question for Reflection “If the six pastoral initiatives of the archdiocese were to become priorities at my parish, what would be different about it?”