C redit seminar. By Dr. Madhukar V 2004-30-04 Department of Pharmacology & Toxicology College of Veterinary & Animal Sciences CSK HPKV, Palampur 6 th August, 2005. Nutraceuticals dawn of a new era. What are nutraceuticals ?.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Department of Pharmacology & Toxicology
College of Veterinary & Animal Sciences
CSK HPKV, Palampur
6th August, 2005
Nutraceuticalsdawn of a new era
-nutrition and pharmaceutical.
- designer foods, functional foods,
- genetically engineered foods
History is repeating
2000 BChere eat this root
1200 ADthis root is heathen, say this prayer
1500 ADprayer are superstitious, drink this potion
1900 ADthe potion is snake oil, swallow this pill
1950 ADthis pill is ineffective, take this antibiotic
2000 ADthe antibiotic is synthetic, eat this root
- amino acids
- fatty acids
vitamin-E- Parkinson's disease
- pancreatic cancer
- skin cancer
Herbs or botanical products as extracts and concentrates.
- chlorogenic acid
reduced risk of cancer.
- breast cancer.
- sucrose + proteins + uncooked starch
- amylase, protease and lipase.
- derivative of inulin.
- attracts pathogenic bacteria.
- improves immunity
-absorption of nutrients
- increases phosphocreatine production in brain & muscle.
- powerful antioxidant.
- heart diseases, high B.P and enhancement of immunity.
- stomach problems
- hip dysplasia
- urinary tract problems
- arthritis .
Saint John’s wort
- viral infections
- neural disorders.
- cognitive disorders
Cattle and buffalo
Turmeric, amahaldi, ashwagandha, adalsa and sitaphal.
enhance reproductive efficiency
Bamboo leaves + ajwaine.
Retention of placenta
Marigold + alum
treatment of wound
- elevated cholesterol levels
- high blood pressure
- garlic (allicin and alliin)
- fish oil (omega 3 fatty acid)
- policosanol (plant waxes)
- Gamma-amino butyric acid (GABA).
- Green tea catechins.
- affect membrane structure and function.
- signal transduction pathways regulating tumor growth and apoptosis.
- immune function of host.
- cholesterol metabolism.
- multiple effects.
- quercetin (tomato, potato, onions).
- kaempferol (kale and tomatoes).
Beta-carotenes (lung cancer):
-carrots, potatoes, red peppers and pumpkins.
Lycopene (prostate cancer):
Lutein (macular degeneration):
- leafy green vegetables.
- nutraceuticals are not regulated by FDA.
- only few has been studied rigorously.
- in contrast prescription and over the counter drugs have been reviewed by FDA.
- scientific studies are not designed for most.
- nutraceuticals are not regulated for purity.
- each ingredients in a dose should be present in precise quantity in standard form.
Nutraceuticals Affected drugs
digoxin and warfarin
LETFOODBE THY MEDICINE AND MEDICINE THY FOOD
Hippocrates 400 BC