Delta Airlines Plays Catch-Up. Thomas Phelps 3/12/2009 Pg. 51. Lagging B ehind. American Airlines known as a leader using IT United Airlines known as a fast follower Delta Airlines known as a slow follower. How Did We Get Here???. American Sabre reservation system United
1. What business risks would Delta be taking if it decided not to catch up with industry leaders in using IT to gain a competitive advantage?
2. What competitive advantages can a company reap if it is the fisrt-mover in introducng an innovative IT system? What are the pros and cons of being a fast follower?
3. What other industries could potentially benefit from the use of yield management systems?
6. Delta’s board of directors questioned the need to spend additional funds on IT when the airline was under great pressure to reduce costs. Determine a strategy for how the CEO, CIO, CTO, CPO, CSO< and CKO can work together to ensure IT projects are supported by both the business and IT departments
7. Explain how an airline can use information technology to ensure the security of its airplanes.