Sea Power and Maritime Affairs. Lesson 22: The Navy at War in the 1990s, 1991-2000. Learning Objectives. The student will understand the history and build-up to NATO involvement in Bosnia and Kosovo.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Lesson 22: The Navy at War in the 1990s, 1991-2000
Boris Yeltsin, President of the Russian Republic, George and Barbara Bush, and the Bush dogs on the White House lawn. Bush supported Yeltsin's efforts to transform Russia into a post-communist regime
William Clinton defeats President Bush, Sr. in 1992 Election Barbara Bush, and the Bush dogs on the White House lawn. Bush supported Yeltsin's efforts to transform Russia into a post-communist regime
force to oppose these states.
assistance of U.S. and U.N.
troops for over a decade.
BOSNIA Barbara Bush, and the Bush dogs on the White House lawn. Bush supported Yeltsin's efforts to transform Russia into a post-communist regime
NATO military operations largely limited to enforcing
U.N. no fly zone. Becomes largest ongoing military operation over Europe since WWII.
The point of NATO air power was to coerce Serbs without engaging a ground force. How could targets be effectively identified in future wars with similar missions without ground element support?
involved a valuable
new precision weapon:
- Reported in Muslim world as a “holocaust”
- No ground observers to direct targeting
- U.S./NATO policy barring all troops might be blamed for tactical failure of air attacks (a mistake NOT repeated in Afghanistan)
- Center of gravity attacks?
- Was there a way to force the enemy to move in a way to produce lucrative targets?
-Here the KLA functions as a coalition force.
-Neither NATO nor KLA had much chance of winning without the other.
Gondola wreckage from EA-6B evacuated; refugees returned to their province.
Lt. Kara Spears 'Revlon' Hultgreen (1965-1994)
8. evacuated; refugees returned to their province.May 1996. Death of Admiral Michael Boorda. Chief of Naval Operations shoots himself in response to journalistic investigations of his entitlement to wear combat “V” for service in waters off Vietnam.
9.October 2000. Attack on the USS Cole.
10. February 2001. Greenville incident.
11. April 2001. EP-3 incident.
CDR Wendy Lawrence, U.S. Navy evacuated; refugees returned to their province.
Admiral Jeremy M. Boorda, U.S. Navy
USS Cole damage
EP-3 crewmembers stand at ease during the ceremony welcoming them to Hawaii following their release from China
MV-22 OSPREY them to Hawaii following their release from China
Next time: The Navy at War in Afghanistan, Operation Enduring Freedom2000-2003