Unit 2. Family Life. Text A. Conversation: Chinese Families Are Very Different Now. 会话：中国家庭今昔巨变.
on the campus of 在...校园内
Is Berkeley the biggest campus of the University of California?伯克利校区是加利福尼亚大学的最大分校吗?
Rita: Hi, I’m home.
Ann: Welcome home, Rita. How was your party?
Rita: Terrific! How was your day?
Ann: Not bad.But I feel a little bit homesick now, so I’m taking a look at the pictures of my family.Conversation
--How was your party?
--Terrific! How was your day?
She 's a little homesick.她有点想家。
-- Can I have a look at the pictures?
-- By all means.
A: May I have one?B: Yes, by all means (of course).
A：Excuse me, can you tell me what you do?请问您的工作是什么？
B: Me? I‘m a cab driver.您问我吗？我是个出租司机。
Both of my parents work in a hospital. (My parents both work in a hospital.) 我父母都在医院工作。
Rita: I heard in China you have the tradition of several generations living under the same roof. Do they live with you?
Ann: No. In fact, nowadays not many young people live with their parents, at least in the cities. As long as they can afford, the young would like to have a home of their own after they are married. As to me, my parents and I even don’t live in the same city.
Tom’s coming home late worries his mother.汤姆的晚归使他妈妈担心。
The students’ knowing English well will help them to learn French.学生学好了英语对学习法语有帮助。
I would appreciate your calling back this afternoon.你今天下午能回电话的话，我将非常感谢。
Mary insisted on my reading the letter.玛丽坚持要我看信。
I will buy it when I can afford it. 我买得起时再买.I cannot (can ill) afford to waste a single minute. 我连一分钟也不能浪费.
a healthy lifestyle 健康的生活方式Our lifestyle, education and other systems differ from other places in the region. 本地的生活方式、教育制度等与其他地区有所不同。
Almost all conversations start with a greeting.
play an important role in developing production 在发展生产中起重要作用
These balloons are used to decorate the hall.
These balloons are used for decorating the hall.
The little boy is used to the local foods now.
The little boy used to get up at 7 every morning.
Seldom does he eat breakfast.
Seldom do they watch TV on weekdays.
four married couples
四对夫妇a newly wedded couple
my first impressions of London 我对伦敦的最初印象give an impression of 给予…感觉
It’s my impression that he doesn’t want to come.我好像觉得他不想来.
the sense of responsibility 责任感feel much responsibility 感觉责任重大family responsibilities 家庭负担
The bus driver is responsible for the safety of the passengers.公共汽车司机对乘客的安全负有责任.Bad weather was responsible for the delay.迟到的原因是由于天气不好.be responsible in morals and in law在道义上和法律上负有责任.
答案：B. any 可修饰比较级，quite修饰原级，well的比较级为better.
3）If there were no examinations, we should have ___ at school.A. the happiest timeB. a more happier timeC. much happiest timeD.a much happier time
a comfortable chair 舒适的椅子
a comfortable life 生活过得去
Make yourself comfortable! (招待客人用语)别客气!请随便吧!
and women now decide these
things together in a marriage. Many
married people now share these
decisions and the responsibilities
of their families.
A. that B. if
C. when D. whether
I will share with you in the cost. 我愿跟你分摊费用。(不及物动词）
A：Is it difficult to study English？学英语难吗？
B：Not at all.一点不难。
1. Which of the following is true in the traditional marriage ?
4. Which is true about the male and female roles in families today?
5. The writer families today?’s attitude toward gender roles in families today is _____________.
I. Conversation: Choose the right answer to finish the following conversation.
1. families today?—Hi, Ben. How is everything with you?
— ______________, and how are you?
2. families today?—Hi, welcome back. Had a nice trip?
3. families today?— May I use your bike for a moment?
4. families today?— How was your trip to London, Jane?
5. families today?— How are you feeling?
1. We are told that in an average family about 1890________.
2. When she was over fifty, the late 19th century mother________.
3. Many girls, the passage says, are now likely to ________. mother________.
1. Since ___________ from the company, she has done voluntary work for a charity.
2. It’s our duty to preserve the planet for future _____________.
3. It is really hard for him to __________ a decision at such a moment.
4. I don’t think I will ever feel ________ spreading rumors.
5. We will not attack ______ we are attacked; if attacked, we will certainly counter-attack.
6. Seldom ______ an article that was so full of lies.
7. Time is growing __________. We must work hard. we will certainly counter-attack.
8. Mary’s father ___________ mathematics in this school ever since he graduated from University of Michigan.
9. The sports meeting was put off till next week ____________the rain.
10. Her salary as a manager is much higher than ________________.
1. A. reach B. keepC. take D. make
2. A. watchB. avoid C. attend D. speed
3. A. excuseB. reply C. promiseD. trick
4. A. BesidesB. Thus C. OtherwiseD. However
5. A. air B. audience C. school D. playground
6. A. apart from B. other than C. except for D. along with
7. A. successfully B. disappointedly
C. delightedly D. hopefully
C. building up D. turning around
10. A. perfect B. comfortable
C. fortunate D. important
The End of Unit 2 changed. Big families have come to disappear, especially in modern cities. Instead, nuclear families are getting more and more. With the revolutionary thoughts about family, now even the only child may live far away from their parents. Predictably, more changes will occur from now on. Our family life will not be the same as before.
Charles Sprague Pearce, Family (1896).
two-parent family academic, political and civil sectors have called attention to single-father-headed households, and families headed by same-sex couples.
matriarchal familyFamily Types
family academic, political and civil sectors have called attention to single-father-headed households, and families headed by same-sex couples. 家庭
twin 双胞胎words on family members
grandfather academic, political and civil sectors have called attention to single-father-headed households, and families headed by same-sex couples. 祖父
granny 奶奶，外婆 grandma 奶奶，外婆
sister-in-law 妯娌， 嫂子，弟妹
stepfather academic, political and civil sectors have called attention to single-father-headed households, and families headed by same-sex couples. 继父
foster father 养父
foster mother 养母
adopted son 养子
adopted daughter 养女
The End of Unit 2 academic, political and civil sectors have called attention to single-father-headed households, and families headed by same-sex couples.
A．took up B．saved up
C．kept up D．drew up
A. is smoking permittedB.smoking is permittedC. smoking is it permittedD.does smoking permit
Not until the early years of the 19th century ___ what heat is.A. man did knowB. man know
C. didn‘t man knowD. did man know
A. the game beganB.has the game begunC. did the game beginD.had the game begun
典型例题---Do you know Jim quarrelled with his brother?---I don’t know, _____.A. nor don‘t I careB. nor do I care
C. I don't care neitherD. I don't care also
注意： 当so引出的句子用以对上文内容加以证实或肯定时，不可用倒装结构。意为“的确如此”。例如：Tom asked me to go to play football and so I did.