Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. SUDDEN CARDIAC DEATHS IN YOUNG ATHLETES
Anjan Gupta M.D.
Sinai Samaritan Med
2. SUDDEN CARDIAC DEATH IN YOUNG ATHLETES A competitive athlete
is one who participates
in an organized team
or individual sport that
others and requires
3. DEMOGRAPHICS Sudden cardiac death occurs most frequently during basketball and football
Majority of deaths occur in men
Most athletes are of high school age at the time of death
Majority of the athletes who incur sudden death have been free of cardiovascular symptoms
4. DEMOGRAPHICS Collapse is usually associated with intense physical exertion and most commonly occur in the afternoon and early evening hours
Cardiovascular disease is usually unsuspected during life in these individuals and is rarely identified by preparticipation screening
5. Cardiovascular causes of sudden cardiac deaths in young competitive athletes