Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use only and may not be sold or licensed nor shared on other sites. SlideServe reserves the right to change this policy at anytime. While downloading, If for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. 08/27/2009 Biology 401: Thermodynamics 1 Biochemical Thermodynamics Andy Howard
Biochemistry, Fall 2009IIT
2. 08/27/2009 Biology 401: Thermodynamics p. 2 of 45 Thermodynamics matters! Thermodynamics tells us which reactions will go forward and which ones wont.
3. 08/27/2009 Biology 401: Thermodynamics p. 3 of 45 Thermodynamics Thermodynamics: Basics
Why we care
Entropy Special topics in Thermodynamics
Solvation & binding to surfaces
ATP: energy currency
Other high-energy compounds
Dependence on concentration
4. 08/27/2009 Biology 401: Thermodynamics p. 4 of 45 Energy in biological systems We distinguish between thermodynamics and kinetics:
Thermodynamics characterizes the energy associated with equilibrium conditions in reactions
Kinetics describes the rate at which a reaction moves toward equilibrium
5. 08/27/2009 Biology 401: Thermodynamics p. 5 of 45 Thermodynamics Equilibrium constant is a measure of the ratio of product concentrations to reactant concentrations at equilibrium
Free energy is a measure of the available energy in the products and reactants
Theyre related by DGo = -RT ln Keq
6. 08/27/2009 Biology 401: Thermodynamics p. 6 of 45 Thermodynamics! Horton et al put this in the middle of chapter 10;Garrett & Grisham are smart enough to put it in the beginning.
You can tell which I prefer!
7. 08/27/2009 Biology 401: Thermodynamics p. 7 of 45 Why we care Free energy is directly related to the equilibrium of a reaction It doesnt tell us how fast the system will come to equilibrium Kinetics, and the way that enzymes influence kinetics, tell us about rates Today well focus on equilibrium energetics; well call that thermodynamics