Central Questions:. How do leaders create and sustain change?What style of leadership is needed to motivate people to undertake change?. Transactional Leadership. Based on the concept of exchange between leader and group membersLeader provides resources and rewards in exchange for motivation, productivity, effective goal, or task accomplishments.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. Transactional & Transformational Leadership
2. Central Questions: How do leaders create and sustain change?
What style of leadership is needed to motivate people to undertake change?
3. Transactional Leadership Based on the concept of exchange between leader and group members
Leader provides resources and rewards in exchange for motivation, productivity, effective goal, or task accomplishments
4. 2 Forms of Transactional Leadership Contingent Reward
Positively reinforce appropriate behaviors
Negatively reinforce inappropriate behaviors
Highly ineffective and/or satisfying to all
5. Management by Exception (MBE) Active MBE: monitor groups and correct mistakes
Laissez-Faire MBE: leave group alone and only interact when there are challenges
6. The Downside of Transactional Leadership Low expectations
Low levels of satisfaction
Focus is on short-term, immediate outcomes only
7. Transformational Leadership “The ability to get people to want to change and to lead change.”
8. 3 Elements of Transformational Leadership Inspiration and Charisma
9. Inspiration and Charisma Create an emotional bond between leader and group
How can you do this?
10. Intellectual Stimulation Challenge the group to identify and solve challenges (out of the box)
11. Individual Consideration Develop appropriate personal relationships with members
Treat members differently but equitably
12. Summary Inspiration and Charisma: builds and sustains an emotional bond that overcomes the psychological and emotional resistance to change
Intellectual Stimulation: provides the new solutions and innovations that empowers members
Individual Consideration: encourages members because they actually know the leaders
13. Transcendent Leadership We are all connected. Humankind is not divided by false distinctions such as race, gender, or even culture but is one species with a multitude of histories and experiences.
14. Transcendence involves A climate of trust by walking the talk
Information sharing transparency and disclosure
Meaningful participation in all aspects of the event
Collective decision making Consensus
Protecting and valuing divergent views
Redefinition of roles Associates
15. The Transcendent Leader Reflective
Global in perspective
Facilitator of dialogue and deliberation
Service above Self
16. Summary Transactional = Give something to get something
Transformational = Go beyond self interests for the good of the whole
Transcendental = Service above self
“To Rule or Govern is easy – To Lead is Difficult.”