MATH INTERVENTION MATERIAL REVIEW: Number Worlds Grades Pre-K – 8 and Algebra Readiness SRA. Peggy Cunningham. Number Worlds. Math prevention/intervention program Grades Pre-K – 8, Algebra Readiness Activity based Incorporates technology Supported by the Kentucky Center for Mathematics.
MATH INTERVENTION MATERIAL REVIEW:Number WorldsGrades Pre-K – 8 andAlgebra ReadinessSRA
The program incorporates the findings of several different types of research:
• Field Tests
• Effectiveness Studies
• Educational Research
• Research on How Children Learn
Program authors Sharon Griffith, Doug Clements, and Julie Sarama have been leaders in the research that has identified how children learn mathematics.
Number Worlds is built to deliver on the five key proficiencies identified by the mathematics research community as crucial for gauging children’s understanding of math.
These proficiencies are as follows:
• Understanding: Comprehending mathematical concepts, operations, and relations, and knowing what mathematical symbols, diagrams, and procedures mean
• Computing: Carrying out mathematical procedures, such as adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing numbers flexibly, accurately, efficiently, and appropriately
• Applying: Being able to formulate problems mathematically and devise strategies for solving them using concepts and procedures appropriately
• Reasoning and Problem Solving: Using logic to explain and justify a solution to a problem or to extend from something known to something not yet known
• Engaging: Seeing mathematics as sensible, useful, and feasible
Building Blocks™ software, incorporated into the Number Worlds program, is the result of National Science Foundation-funded research. Building Blocks includes research-based computer tools with activities and a management system that guides children through research-based learning trajectories.
Lesson Overview – Prevention Level C
Lessons are all structured the same way throughout the program: 1. Warm Up, 2. Engage, 3. Reflect, and 4. Assess.
1. Warm Up exercises provide cumulative review and computation practice for students and gives the teacher an opportunity to assess students’ skills quickly.
2. Engage is the heart of the lesson instruction. Introduce and develop concepts with engaging activity cards. Also included are suggestions for differentiating instruction.
Lesson Overview – Prevention Level C
3.Reflect is a vital part of the lesson that offers ways to help students summarize their understanding.
4. Assess helps you use informal assessment to summarize and analyze evidence of student understanding.
Lesson Overview – Intervention Level E
Weekly Overview – Prevention Level C
Background provides a refresher of the math principles relevant to the chapter.
How Children Learn offers insight into how children learn and gives research based teaching strategies.
Skills Focus outlines the skills that will be covered throughout the week.
Teaching for Understanding provides the big ideas of the chapter.
Math at Home extends learning to provide extra practice students need and encourage support at home.
Math Vocabulary and English Learners outline vocabulary for the chapter and defines vocabulary in English and Spanish to improve students’ understanding of concepts.
Weekly Planner – Prevention Level C
Weekly Planner includes objectives that explain how the key concepts are developed lesson by lesson and which resources can be used with each lesson for quick and easy teacher preparation.
Weekly Overview & Planner – Intervention Level E
Weekly Planners map out an entire week of lessons, complete with pacing options, goals, and resources necessary to get the most out of every lesson.
Placement Tests are provided to identify where students should begin the Number Worlds curriculum.
Level C Placement Test
Level E Addition Placement Test
Level C Placement Test Instructions
Pre and Post
Lesson 5 Review – Intervention Level E
Unit Teacher Kits
A-C $613.59 (materials for 5 students)
D-J $655.20 (materials for 5 students)
Additional student workbooks $29.10/5
Algebra Readiness – per student
Building Blocks Online: $10.50/student, minimum 20
Training is available and price depends on how much is purchased
How Are My Students Progressing?
Questions to Consider When Creating or Selecting an Intervention Program