Technical Cooperation Office-Amman. Embassy of Spain In Jordan. Zarqa River Basin Restoration and Economic Development Project. International Union for Conservation of Nature. Zarqa River Basin Description. Area: 3,900 Km 2 , c.a. Annual rainfall: 300 mm/year
Embassy of Spain
International Union for Conservation of Nature
MCM Million Cubic Meter
The flow characteristics have been further modified by discharging treated domestic and industrial wastewater to the river.
This wastewater constitutes nearly all of summer flow, substantially degrading the water quality.
1- Decrease of natural flow.
2- Pollution by disposing industrial wastewater and solid wastes.
3- Pollution by partially-treated domestic wastewater.
Environmental components that are at risk in the Amman-Zarqa Basin include:
good analysis and planning, leading to more effective and economically sound water resources management and improving rural livelihoods, environmental and water security.
promoting increased participation and representation of stakeholders (mainly end-users) in the planning and decision making processes.
the water basin, manifested in
difficulties in the enforcement
of water legislations and policies.
Communities within the river basin, farmers, CBOs, industries
Industries and local-level government institutions
National-level government institutions
Other river basins in other areas or in the region
To the top
Best practice for
3 or 4 Pilot Sites for Testing Approach
Pilot Projects “on the
Long Term Strategy Development
Technical Studies on Selected
Long-Term Strategic Plan for Zarqa River Restoration & Management
of different pilot projects to test
solutions for river basin restoration.
private sector, NGOs and government agencies.
local, regional and national levels.
stakeholders on the planning and
decision-making processes for water
of a master plan for the
tools (PMC + IWMIS) to support
restoration master plans.
2. Empowering stakeholders GOs, NGOs, private sector, CBOs and end-users in the water resources planning and management processes.
3. Enabling the implementation
of similar activities in other areas of the country and the region.
4. Developing the economic and social elements in the river basin due to the improved environment.
Progress to Date Cont
- Three pilot projects were identified by the relevant stakeholders and will be implemented in selected pilot sites, aiming to:
- Two schools were selected within the Zarqa River Basin and two small pilot project on water management were implemented to increase students’ participation in the river rehabilitation and water management.