The Rationale. To create a comprehensive reference guide encompassing the primary aspects of human giftedness, creativity, and talentUser-friendly yet thoroughInformative reading for both professionals and graduate studentsAll-inclusive spectrum of literature (traditional and contemporary)Consideration of ability in many different facets of life .
1. Encyclopedia of Giftedness, Creativity, and Talent: The Long and Winding Road Barbara Kerr, Ph.D.
Barbara M. Wells, M.S.
University of Kansas
2. The Rationale To create a comprehensive reference guide encompassing the primary aspects of human giftedness, creativity, and talent
User-friendly yet thorough
Informative reading for both professionals and graduate students
All-inclusive spectrum of literature (traditional and contemporary)
Consideration of ability in many different facets of life
3. The Game Plan Advisory board – headwords, contributors, editorial duties
Dissertation Abstracts International – opportunities for recent graduates
Gifted Child Quarterly, Roeper Review, Journal for Education of Gifted, Creativity – last five years
Surfing the web – e.g. Hoagies, Belin-Blank Center, National Research Center for Gifted and Talented, William and Mary Center for Gifted, Torrance Center
Grad students – KU, other institutions
4. Getting the Word Out Electronic invitations sent through publisher’s web site
Timeline for replies
Potential (and actual) problems:
Life happens – computers, family emergencies, schedule tsunamis
5. Review Process Group effort: Dr. Kerr, advisory board, managing editor
Were the publisher’s criteria for both formatting and content followed?
Was the entry a literature review, not the showcase for a single author or theory?
Were the seminal figures / publications in the area of interest included?
Were significant new developments mentioned?
6. Sorry, but… Revising of first draft - par for the course
Who gives the final signoff on a submission? Answer: Development editor at SAGE Publications
Most fixes: departure from publisher guidelines
Another problem: failure to include significant literature (past and present, pro and con)
Patching also done by lead and managing editors on the project (minor corrections)
7. A Day in the Life Talent scouting
Tech support / trouble-shooting
Q & A
Handling extensions and reassignments
Meeting publisher deadlines
8. Light at the End of the Tunnel Currently in final stages
Publication date: 6/16/09
A mission on the verge of accomplishment
With gratitude to our contributors, our advisory board members, and the editorial team at SAGE Publications