Process for Implementation of Article 17. ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS Once the process is in place, the Air Traffic Manager and Facility Representative may add functions/tasks by repeating the steps in the Planning Phase. IMPLEMENTATION PHASE
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Process for Implementation of Article 17
Once the process is in place, the Air Traffic Manager and Facility Representative may add functions/tasks by repeating the steps in the Planning Phase.
Communicate facility plan to all employees. Bargaining unit employees assume staff functions.
Air Traffic Manager and Facility Representative meet to review the background, objectives, and process for implementing Article 17.
Present an overview of the national Process for Implementation of Article 17 to all employees. Familiarize bargaining unit employees
with the various staff
functions and tasks.
Air Traffic Manager and Facility Representative develop a facility plan for assumption of support functions by bargaining unit employees.
Conduct evaluation and make necessary adjustments to facility plan.
ARTICLE 17 IMPASSE PROCEDURE
- to expand the knowledge and experience of bargaining unit employees (BUEs), and
- to absorb some staff and training functions into the bargaining unit.
Determine functions and tasks
to be performed by BUEs.
Teams or Individuals
Determine whether the functions are best performed by individual employees, by teams of BUEs, or by a combination of both. The parties are encouraged to consider a team approach to accomplishing staff functions/tasks.
No agreement on whether functions/ tasks are
ATM and Facility Representative disagree on whether BUE volunteers will assume duties
Disagreements on process for implementation
Article 17 Impasse Process
The Air Traffic Manager and NATCA Facility Representative are expected to jointly implement and continually develop a plan for BUEs to assume additional duties within the facility. This process is not optional.
1. The composition of the Article 17 Impasse panel will be the appropriate Air Traffic Division Manager and NATCA Regional Vice-President. Note: for nine months following implementation of the national process, the Director of Air Traffic and NATCA National President, or their designees from the Article 17 workgroup, shall also serve as members of this panel.
2. If after a good faith effort, the parties are unable to reach agreement, each party shall submit a detailed written explanation of the situation, including perceptions of why agreement cannot be reached. This information shall be exchanged between the parties, so rebuttal statements may be attached. Within 10 days following the determination that an impasse exists, the required documentation shall be sent to the Article 17 Impasse Panel, with copies to the Director of Air Traffic and the NATCA President.
3. The Article 17 Impasse Panel will attempt to facilitate a solution between the parties within 10 days.
4. If a solution cannot be facilitated, the Article 17 Impasse Panel may impose a solution on the facility.
5. If no solution is rendered, the facility manager and the union may pursue any action available under the contract or statute.
Article 17 Impasse Procedure