Lidzbark Warminski. Lidzbark Warminski in numbers. Area : 14,34 km ². Population : 16 597. Population density : 1157people/km². History. Lidzbark Warminski is situated between two rivers: Lyna and Symsarna.
Area: 14,34 km ²
Population: 16 597
Population density: 1157people/km²
Lidzbark Warminski is situated between two rivers: Lyna and Symsarna.
The history of the town began in 13-th century. In 1308 bishop of Neisse Eberhard granted a Chełm Law for Lidzbark, which was called Helisberg by the Teutonic Knights previously.
One of the oldest monuments is the castle in Lidzbark that is often called the Wawel castle of the North.
The Lidzbark Warminski’s coat of arms shows the Lamb of God standing on the green grass against the blue background. The Lamb is having a gold crosier and is turned toward the right.
The castle of Warmian bishops with the area in front of the castle, bastion and a tower is one of the most valuable monuments in Poland.
It’s one of the castles, located in the area of former Teutonic land, that have survived for years.
The collegiate church with a monastery – nowadays there is St. Peter and Paul’s church but in 1315 there was a wooden basilica, similar to this one from Frombork.
The tower and adjoining chapels were built towards the end of the 14-th century. It’s the late-Gothic and brick building.
The former Evangelical Church – is one of the most remarkable examples of Protestant architecture in the Warmia region and it was built in 1818-1823. The characteristic feature of this building is a mixture of different styles from different periods of time.
Wysoka Brama – only one of three gates survived to the present day and it’s called Wysoka Brama.
It’s one of the most monumental buildings in the Warmia region.
This is a Gothic monument that was built in 1466-1478. The upper story of the building was rebuilt in 1850.