GAP Writing/Grammar. Shinsuke Tsuchiya. Today’s outline. Singular/Plural (Subject- serb agreement) Wh -questions (North-Star ) Outline. Singular. This brick is heavy. That airplane flies fast. Every dog speaks Japanese. Each person has a responsibility.
This brick is heavy.
That airplane flies fast.
Every dog speaks Japanese.
Each person has a responsibility.
There is a scary dog!
One of the dogsis kind.
None of the students is mean.
Education is very important.
*A computer game is very fun.
*a generic noun (symbol of a whole group)
Singular: noun as a single item (count) or entity (non-count).
Ex. (count) brick, dog, airplane, person, foot,
Ex. (non-count) water, sugar, truth, education, driving, history, grammar, food, fruit, money, oxygen, soup, paper, knowledge etc.
Ex. Growing flowers is her hobby.
Plural: more than one of the same noun.
Ex. (count) bricks, dogs, airplanes, people, feet
Ex. (non-count) N/A
These dogs are scary.
Those people are kind.
Some airplanes are cheap.
A lot of airplanes are flying.
Lots of people study English.
Other airplanes are expensive.
*Computer games are fun.
*talking about the games in general.
Ex. He lives in Boston.
Ex. Each person has a responsibility.
Ex. Everyman, woman, and child needs love.
Ex. That book on political parties is interesting.
Ex. My dog, as well as my cats, likes cat food.
Ex. The book that I got from my parents was very interesting.
Ex. The ideas in that book are interesting.
Ex. My dogs, as well as my cat, like cat food.
Ex. The books I bought at the bookstore were expensive.
Singular count/non-count nouns
This, that, there is, one of, each, every, none
Plural count nouns
these, those, there are, some, a lot of, lots of, other, etc.
1. I played computer game>
2. Some experience >
3. This kind of games >
4. Some financial problem >
5. Other addiction >
6. Games have similar story >
1. Some way >
2. They were teenager >
3. Those violent game >
4. Ideas about real life situation >
5. For these reason >
6. There are different kind of games >
7. General knowledges about world >
1. Games was created for humans >
2. Those violent games is more… >
3. Playing games teach us about real life >
4. You really cares about them. >
5. When someone play games >
1. People that creates games >
2. Playing games help us >
3. Playing games always teach us something >
4. He also learn about driving >
5. A kid that plays with his cars learn how to share >
1. ask for information
(what, where, when, when, who, why, and how)
2. use ‘do’ or ‘does ‘the base form’ of the verb.
Ex. Where do you run? Where does he run?
Where is the class? Where are my friends?
3. use ‘can’ and ‘should’ sometimes
Ex. Where can we run? Where should I run?
4. can become a subject sometimes
Ex. Who grows apples near Des Moines? What grows in Alaska?