Developing Campaigns for Issues and Projects. Brenda Clement, Executive Director Citizens ' Housing and Planning Association National Housing Council Conference, September 17, 2013. Agenda. [email protected] : 2005 Protect Affordable Housing Massachusetts:2009 Vote “No” on 2: 2010
Brenda Clement, Executive Director
Citizens' Housing and Planning Association
National Housing Council Conference, September 17, 2013
• Over 3,000 volunteers sent “dear friend” messages, displayed a campaign sign, staffed an information table at a community event, phone banked, or participated in an online “Rapid Response” Team.
• 4,500 lawn signs and 1.2 million palm cards were distributed.
• Volunteers covered 650 polling locations in more than 150 cities and towns.
• Direct outreach was made to more than 50,000 residents of affordablehousing.
• 145 letters to the editor were published in 47 newspapers, op-eds were published in 45 newspapers, and 62 newspapers editorialized in support ofNo on 2.
• Have consistent, concise messages
• Public opinion polling is critical
• Build diverse coalition early; capitalize on existing
• Maintain close, in-house staffing of campaign
• Use data to support claims made to the media
• Involve real people as voices and faces of campaign
• Different messages for different audiences
Welcome Home Massachusetts focuses on three primary strategies:
Communications and Messaging:
Education and Information: