What is the difference between Prose
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. Prose & Poetry Who’s in your little black book?
2. What is the difference between Prose & Poetry? Prose is not confined to poetic measures and is usually grouped into paragraphs. Prose lacks a specific rhythm or the rhymes that can be found in poetry. Poetry aims to convey ideas and emotional experiences through the use of meter, rhyme, imagery in a carefully constructed metrical structure based on rhythmic patterns.
3. What is Prose Poetry? Prose poetry combines the characteristics of poetry with the apparent appearance of prose containing traces of metrical structure or verse. Prose poetry deliberately breaks some of the normal rules of prose to create heightened imagery or emotional effect.
4. Free Verse Free verse is a form of poetry which uses fewer rules and limitations using either rhymed or unrhymed lines that have no set fixed metrical pattern. The early 20th-century poets were the first to write what they called "free verse" which allowed them to break from the formula and rigidity of traditional poetry.
5. The Event: The performance of Literature
Prose – Literature that is not a play or a poem
Poetry – Literature written in verse
6. The Rules In the performance the contestant will use a manuscript (black notebook) which contains his/her selection(s).
The time limit is 7 minutes, introduction included.
The material must be published & printed.
Use UIL categories.
7. The Categories Prose
Exploring the Southern Experience
Exploring Prose Fiction
8. The Preparation Read & Select Your Piece
Analyze the Selection
Cut the Piece
Put Piece in Black Notebook
Practice, practice, practice